Job Openings at
Battle Creek Unlimited
“Great things in business are never done by one person. They’re done by a team of people,” – Steve Jobs.
The Battle Creek Unlimited (BCU) team is growing, and we are looking for passionate, dynamic PEOPLE who dedicate their skills and talents to help advance community and economic development needs for the City of Battle Creek. We are looking to hire a dynamic person who thrives in a fast-paced, fun environment. Someone who has the aptitude to handle being a part of an ever-changing environment, and has a desire to learn new skills, or adapt existing skills, while growing professionally. Most importantly, someone who wants to be involved with game-changing projects that impact the city and its residents and has a passion for helping to make our community a better place.
Does making an impact and positioning the community for future growth through economic development and food-based initiatives intrigue you? Do you want to work with a dynamic organization that serves a diverse community and recognizes the importance of Battle Creek’s rich food history and assets? Look no further; Battle Creek Unlimited has the job for you. Our work is mission-driven, fulfilling, fast-paced, and fun.
Deadline to apply November 28, 2022
Battle Creek: Food Reimagined (BCFR) is a program designed to help emerging participants in the food and beverage industry to unlock opportunities to scale their progressive businesses through focused strategic and technical support. BCFR is the result of a community partnership consisting of public and private entities from the Battle Creek, SW Michigan, and across the State who possess resources relevant to the program’s mission. By targeting industry participants working on truly unique and progressive solutions, BCFR hopes to contribute to the overall betterment of the food and beverage industry while also attracting more food and beverage related businesses to the community, in the process helping to position Battle Creek as a desirable location for these companies – and their peers – to do business.
The Position: The role will be the day-to-day lead of the Battle Creek: Food Reimagined initiative and will be significantly involved in all key program activities, including:
- Creation of a multi-year strategy to launch and scale the program, working in conjunction with other partners to clarify target profile for participating companies, identify a general marketing approach, align on envisioned organizational structure, and determine key program processes.
- Marketing of BCFR to a wide variety of food and beverage industry participants through tactics such as social media, attendance of industry events and trade shows, participation in relevant panels or other seminars/webinars and direct conversations/meetings/presentations recruitment.
- Recruitment of companies for potential participation in the BCFR program, including supporting research and targeting activities, conducting preliminary informational discussions, and helping evaluate companies for fit with the program.
- Collaborate with public and private sector partners to implement programming.
- Oversight of all major administrative processes, such as meeting coordination; event planning; community engagement; budgeting, including seeking and acquiring diverse funding, communication to the general and food community, collaboration, and coordination with the BCFR collaborative, including the venture capital fund.
This position will require physical presence on a regular basis in Battle Creek.
Candidate: Our ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated team player, well-organized, detail oriented, personable, with the desire and excitement to accelerate and grow a new industry focused economic development initiative in Battle Creek, MI.
- Five to seven (5-7) years of full-time work experience in a closely related area including food R&D, marketing, new product development or equivalent food industry experience.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) from a four-year college or university; exceptions may be considered in candidates with significant relevant work experience.
- Proven ability to work across diverse groups of stakeholders on a variety of relevant issues to achieve targeted outcomes, including on specific timelines.
- Experience with desktop publishing, graphic design, Adobe products, Publisher, Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress, Social Media platforms, and Salesforce (CRM) preferred.
- Experience creating and managing a project budget including writing funding proposals and reports.
- Availability to attend in-person and virtual meetings on nights/weekends and to reach the office in cases of emergency.
- Possess the temperament and flexibility to work effectively in a fast-paced and energetic environment.
- Strong verbal, written, and oral communication skills across a variety of settings (i.e. one on one discussions, group meetings, presentations).
- Strong multi-tasking skills, meeting deadlines, and performing under pressure.
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment.
- Must be a self-starter, requiring minimal direction for completing assignments.
- Skills to motivate and coordinate a team of diverse volunteers and community stakeholders.
- Proven track record of creating and maintain relationships with organizations, individuals, and businesses.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information. Absolute integrity and discretion are essential.
Pay Range: $90,000 – $100,000+ commensurate with experience. This position includes an excellent benefits package. This position is grant funded with secured funding for three years.
How to Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume, and references online using the form below, no later than 5pm, November 28. First-round interviews will take place virtually the week of December 12.
We’re looking to hire an Economic Development Specialist who will help advance our efforts with Community and Economic Development initiatives in Battle Creek, MI.
The deadline to apply is December 9, 2022
The Position: The Economic Development Specialist role within the organization embodies a wide variety of work, including community and economic development support services; coordination and assistance with projects (attraction and retention), in support of our mission; assists with managing projects for the tax increment finance authority, and brownfield redevelopment development authority; researches and compiles demographic and economic data in response to inquiries; participates in community engagement efforts, placemaking, and assists with special projects; meets with companies for attraction activities (as needed). Also, this position plays a key role as a liaison to our Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) activities. Those activities include working with outside consultants, local, regional, and state partners to identifying new users and acclimating them to FTZ benefits and requirements. This role works closely with the BCU Executive Team.
Candidate: Our ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated team player, well-organized, detailed-oriented, personable, with the desire and excitement to continue growing and developing their skills in economic/community development.
Qualifications: Three (3) years of full-time professional work experience in a closely related area of community or economic development, business, marketing, public administration, or economics desired. High school diploma or GED required; bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university preferred. The applicant must have the temperament and flexibility to work effectively in a fast-paced and energetic environment; must be a self-starter, requiring minimal direction for completing assignments; ability to prepare clear and concise written and oral reports; demonstrates capacity for creative planning and implementation; strong multi-tasking skills, meets deadlines, and performs under pressure; and the ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information. Absolute integrity and discretion essential.
Pay Range: $60,000-$80,000+ commensurate with experience. We offer exceptional benefits including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, paid sick time and a generous 401K package. Desired residency established in the City of Battle Creek within six months of hire. Relocation packages offered.
How to Apply: Please submit a your resume, cover letter, and references via the form at the bottom of this page.
We’re looking to hire an Urban Planner who will help advance our efforts with the River Naturalization Project, Community Development, and Housing initiatives in Battle Creek, MI.
The deadline to apply is December 9, 2022.
The Position: The Urban Planner role within the organization will be the point of contact for community development/placemaking, housing initiatives, and leads the managerial efforts for the river naturalization project on behalf of BCU. The role will engage with local, regional, and state stakeholders, city/government officials, developers, legal, property owners, environmental groups, and the community. Oversees and develops program guidelines, strategies, and solutions for various projects and revitalization efforts. Gathers and analyzes data for a variety of market research and grants. Also, this position plays a key role in managing development projects, land acquisitions, leasing agreements, grant administration, and reporting for various projects. Represents BCU on various boards and meetings. Coordinates and leads community input. Absolute confidentiality and understanding of the overall organization are essential.
Candidate: Our ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated team player, well-organized, detail oriented, personable, with the desire and excitement to continue growing and developing their skills in economic/community development and urban planning.
Qualifications: Three (3) years of planning experience and/or a Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, public administration, political science, business administration or similar desired; understanding of the aspects of community master planning, local zoning, city codes, development review, including land divisions, zoning reviews, and conditional uses, GIS mapping, site and neighborhood design, urban design, community engagement, and economic development; ability to prepare clear and concise written and oral reports; demonstrated capacity for creative planning and implementation; strong multi-tasking skills, meeting deadlines, and performing under pressure; and the ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information. Absolute integrity and discretion essential.
Pay Range: $65,000-$85,000+ commensurate with experience. We offer exceptional benefits including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, paid sick time and a generous 401K package. Desired residency established in the City of Battle Creek within six months of hire. Relocation packages offered.
How to Apply: Please submit your resume, cover letter, and references via the form at the bottom of this page.
Working at Battle Creek Unlimited
Battle Creek Unlimited (BCU), a nationally recognized economic development organization, is unapologetically charging into the future to create a dynamic, equitable, and prosperous landscape for the Battle Creek community. The organization is at the forefront of economic development activities – creating change, leading collaborative efforts, championing critical projects, driving strategic investment/job creation to grow our economy. With a proven track record of 50 years, BCU continues to be the “go to” organization to efficiently get work done and move projects forward. Our leadership is devoted to its staff, serving the needs of community in an impactful way, and engaging the community to meet the opportunities and challenges of the future.
BCU is a place where you can learn the know-how of the industry – while on the job. It is a place where people can professionally grow in their career paths; be an innovative and creative change leader; offer unique and innovative solutions to clients and community; and reimagine the impossible. If you are interested in being a part of the movement, please apply now.
- BCU EDA Grant: https://mibiz.com/sections/small-business/battle-creek-unlimited-awarded-522k-for-food-startup-programs
- River Naturalization: https://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/news/2022/07/24/naturalization-aging-cement-river-closer-becoming-reality/10126583002/
- Duncan Aviation Ground Breaking: https://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/news/2022/10/07/battle-creek-duncan-aviation-breaks-ground-on-historic-40-million-expansion/69547059007/
- BCU and Drones: https://www.secondwavemedia.com/southwest-michigan/features/Battle-Creek-Unlimited-seeks-a-drone-park-at-its-Executive-Airport-claim-place-in-emerg-090122.aspx
- State backs Battle Creek McCamly Plaza hotel redevelopment with $7.5M loan: https://mibiz.com/sections/economic-development/state-backs-battle-creek-mccamly-plaza-hotel-redevelopment-with-7-5m-loan?fbclid=IwAR3U_GiuFuarMBeEiiUZxcdSHx_weEq8lCypE-Nq0o41wby91iZH24uYMmI
- Bleistahl Expansion: https://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/news/2022/05/20/battle-creek-bleistahl-investing-8-7-m-expansion-adding-69-jobs/9854950002/
- Viking-Cives: https://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/news/2021/10/08/snowplow-manufacturer-plans-25